1991 / 1999 - ESP MX-250
- shape: respect MX-220 have more sharp points (no banana headstock), slightly longer body (bottom strap button to tip of headstock), switch moved further away from the volume pots, no step in the neck. Single screw bell shaped truss rod cover changed in 1997 to bullet style truss rod cover.
- construction: set neck (no step between body and neck)
- neck: mahogany
- body: mahogany
- fingerboard: ebony 22 frets XJ with pearl dot inlays, 24.75" scale (628mm)
- electronics: active EMG 81 (bridge) / 81 (neck), Volume, Tone, Toggle 3 way selector
- hardware: Gotoh tuners, Gotoh ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar.
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "ESP Custom" light grey/gold glittered logo for black guitars, black/gold glittered for white guitars
-- back of headstock: XXXXXXXX (8 digits) serial number stamped in white or black (NO "ESP Custom Guitars" circle logo), follow the ESP Serial Numbers Legenda.
You can deduct the production data from the serial (or papers if you have it).
1992 → 140721XX; 170721XX; 270722XX;
1993 → 250230XX; 19033XXX; 24043XXX;
1998 → 161080XX;
1999 → 050392XX; 271090XX; → In September 1999 they changed bridge type: from ABR-1 (slim) to Nashville (fat).
2001 → K01XXXXX
2002 → K02XXXXX
2003 → K03XXXXX
2004 → K04XXXXX
2005 → K05XXXXX
2006 → K06XXXXX
2007 → K07XXXXX
2008 → K08XXXXX
2009 → K09XXXXX
2010 → K10XXXXX; T10XXXXX;
2011 → K11XXXXX
2012 → K12XXXXX
2013 → K13XXXXX
2014 → K14XXXXX (start to use "ESP Custom" world gold logo in back of headstock)
2015 → K15XXXXX
2016 → EXXXX162 (new serial code)
2017 → EXXXX172
2018 → EXXXX182
If you have other records please help me!!
- colors and other features: Black, Olympic White, Snow White. They comes out with leather gigbag, optional was the ESP hardcase.
- notes: This is the most famous model that James Hetfield use. To the new design of the MX-220 was given the name MX-250.
N.02 - made in 1992
SERIAL: 14072XXX (made on July 14, 1992)
N.04 - made in 1992
- 1994 custom ordered by Armand Crump (Kerry King's guitar tech and great collector, died in 2012).
Some differernces between this one and others:
- white glittered ESP circle logo in the back of the headstock (like the EXP model for example);
- some differences into the inlays (less sharp);
- sperzel locking tuners.
Example of MX-250 version with BULLETT style truss rod cover
[only custom order, about only 3 pieces made]