- construction: bolt-on (4 screw)
- neck: maple (EXP have angled neck respect the body, EXP W.TREM have neck straight to the body)
- body: mahogany 39mm (45mm for TREM version)
- fingerboard: rosewood 22 XJ frets with pearl dot inlays, 24.75" scale (628mm)
- electronics: active EMG 81 (bridge) / 81 (neck), 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 1 Toggle 3 way switch
- hardware: all black hardware, Gotoh tuners, ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar (floyd rose bridge for TREM version)
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "ESP Custom" light grey/gold glittered logo for black guitars, black/gold glittered for white guitars
-- back of headstock: "ESP Custom Guitars" circle logo glittered white for black model, black for white model
-- serial number: XXXXX (5 digits) punched on the bolt plate in the neck. (The date of manufacture is write on pencil on the body of the guitar where is joined to the neck, you have to unscrew the neck).
Here some records:
1993 - 619XX → 912XX → number restart from 1XXXX → 166XX [also with tremolo]
1994 - 167XX → 183XX [also with tremolo]
1995 - 191XX → 244XX [also with tremolo]
1996 - 257XX → 261XX
1997 - 273XX → 294XX (MSRP: $2295)
1998 - 301XX → 357XX [also in white][also with tremolo] (MSRP: $1999)
1999 - 339XX → 369XX [also with tremolo]
2000 - 379XX → 414XX
This model is more rare than the ESP MX-250 because was produced only from 1992 to 2000 almost only for the worldwide market.
The WHITE version was built only in 1998.
I think the Bolt Plate numbers are identical to all the ESP model of this period, so the data is useful for all the model with this plate!
If you have other records please help me!!!
- colors and other features: black with hi gloss finish, Olympic white
The tremolo version with original Floyd Rose have more thik body (45mm instead of standard 39mm).
Also available at lower price with ESP Custom Pickups instead of EMG.
Available in lefty version as custom order.
The body style of the old ESP Explorer (MX-220, MX-250, EXP) was retired due to Gibson Lawsuit, and a new body style was introduced in 2000 (EX models).
It's hilarious that Gibson in 2012 release the "Epiphone 1984 Explorer EX" copying control pot configuration of ESP MX-220/250/EXP, a sort of revenge...
(available only in black color)